MES-SoftwareWhat is a MES (Manufacturing Execution System)?
What exactly is MES software and what are the benefits for companies that use a customized MES?
MES refers to a manufacturing execution system that monitors and controls the entire production process – from raw materials to finished products.
Especially in the automotive, pharmaceutical, food, and chemical industries, comprehensive MES systems are essential for optimizing manufacturing processes, quality control, and resource and order management.
MES Software: Key Features
MES systems combine a range of functions and tools to improve the efficiency, quality and real-time monitoring of manufacturing processes. MES software is becoming increasingly important as manufacturing companies increasingly automate production and compete for the most efficient production process. Put another way: Today’s manufacturing companies need a modern MES system that is tailored to their specific needs in order to remain competitive in the age of Industry 4.0.
Companies that use MES systems benefit from the following eight capabilities:
- Real-time production monitoring: MES systems process data from multiple production sources to track and analyze the current status of production. Benefit: Production can be monitored in real time. Errors or bottlenecks in the production process can be corrected immediately.
- Order Management: MES systems are functionally between ERP systems and production planning systems (PPS). With an MES system, order information, planning data and production schedules can be managed in one tool. This allows orders to be processed efficiently and completed on time.
- Quality Control: MES software monitors and ensures product quality. Quality data is collected in real time. Possible errors or deviations can be detected and corrected in time.
- Resource management: MES systems support the optimal use of machines, personnel and materials. This reduces production costs and increases efficiency.
- Traceability: An MES enables complete traceability of products and raw materials. This is especially important in highly regulated areas such as the food and pharmaceutical industries.
- Data collection and analysis: MES systems can collect and analyze data from multiple sources. This helps identify bottlenecks and continuously improve processes.
- Reporting: MES software generates reports and dashboards that give managers insight into production performance and efficiency.
- Integration with other systems: MES systems can be seamlessly integrated with other enterprise systems, such as ERP, to ensure a smooth flow of information.
MES Software: What are the benefits of an MES for manufacturing?
MES is a critical tool for automated production in Industry 4.0. The benefits of an MES system for manufacturing processes lie primarily in improved productivity. This is because optimized processes, low downtime and quickly detected bottlenecks ensure efficient use of manpower and machines. In addition to increased productivity, better quality control is also possible with an MES. Real-time monitoring and documentation of production, as well as product traceability, enable high, software-supported production quality.
Business management factors are also optimized with an MES system. Improved productivity and quality control translate into cost savings in manufacturing. In addition, MES-supported new products can be brought to market faster and adapted to new customer requirements, market conditions or legal regulations. Linking or integrating with existing IT systems, such as an ERP system, also makes supply chains more fluid: Orders, deliveries, and inventory are managed quickly and accurately based on demand using data from the MES.
Customized MES Software
Every company and every manufacturing operation is unique. As such, an ideal MES system should be tailored as closely as possible to the company’s specific needs. In many cases, the requirements for manufacturing software are so specific that a standard solution is insufficient or lacks critical functionality.
A customized MES system can be the right solution for companies with very specific requirements. In this way, complex production processes or even minor regulatory requirements can be directly integrated into the software development.
A major advantage of custom MES software is its seamless integration into the existing IT infrastructure. Especially when an ERP system is to be integrated, a custom MES is the first choice. This also applies to the scalability of the software. Unlike standard solutions, a custom MES can be programmed to meet the company’s future needs.
Simply more successful with customized MES software
Although the initial cost of a custom-built MES is higher than that of an off-the-shelf MES, the investment pays off in the long run. There are no license fees because the MES system becomes the property of the customer. Companies also keep development costs under control and have the flexibility to program new or enhanced functionality.
Need to optimize your production?
We develop customized MES systems that can do more than standard solutions.